2Rowdy

2Rowdy
Me and my dead car

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Youngest and unemployed

Being the youngest in the family, despite my age, and being unemployed (still) has pushed me into a place I did not enjoy. Taking care of my parents. It sort of became a full time job since they needed much attention.

My goal was to keep them together as long as possible. For that I went there, washed my father, shaved him, make dinner, cleaned etc. All with the wish to have them together as long as possible.
I failed.

Things have happened. I took my dad downstairs and there I had him select a vacation suitcase he has used before on holidays. Back upstairs we packed the suitcase. Took him by the hand and we stepped into my car. My mom joined us and we went away. I had him placed into a nursing home since mom and I could not care for him any more.

Things went from bad to worse. With his condition he has huge problems speaking but has sparckles of presence and will. They drugged him from a walking alive man into a wheelchair unable to walk and talk. The protest I started has eaten me. All my energy was gone.

My family stepped in to help me out, get some distance.
My dad is doing better now. Still drugged, still a PITA at the nursing home, but able to walk, reason and understand.

Trying to find a new balance. Mum, dad, my wife, me.
I know one thing. If I ever feel nearing his stage I'm damn sure I won't get into a nursing home. I'll do what ever it takes to prevent that including leaving early.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's bad news 2Rowdy. How is your mother dealing with this new situation? Is she still in good health?

Take care (also of yourself),

RPK

Blog Archive